Beer Brined BBQ Chicken
Prep Time 3 hours
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 3 hours 45 minutes
- 3 lbs Chicken Leg Quarters Also works nicely with chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Light Beer
- 1/4 cup BBQ Spice Rub Use your favorite BBQ spice rub or see link to our recipe in side bar
- 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce Use your favorite BBQ Sauce or see link to our recipe in side bar
- 2-3 tbsp Beer or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brine the chicken: In a large bow, mix salt, sugar and 1/2 cup warm water until dissolved.
- Pour beer into the bowl and fill the rest of way with water until chicken is completely covered. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably all day.
- Remove the chicken and discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Rub chicken all over with the BBQ spice rub and olive oil.
- You will be grilling the chicken using indirect heat. Heat grill to medium-high, then turn off center burner and reduce the side burners to medium.
- Place the chicken skin side up on the indirect heat. Close grill and cook until the thickest part of the chicken registers 150˚F on a thermometer—about 45 minutes (start checking around 35-40 minutes).
- Mix BBQ sauce with beer or apple cider vinegar to thin. Baste chicken with sauce every 5-10 minutes, starting around 25 minutes.
- Move chicken to direct heat and place skin side down to char the skin. Grill for about 5 minutes. Check temperature to make sure the chicken has reached 165˚F before remove from grill. Let rest 5-10 minutes
- Serve with BBQ sauce