What could be better than combining two favorite comfort foods–Jalapeño Poppers and Mac and Cheese?! Kicked up a notch with Tabasco this easy and delicious recipe, loaded with bacon, cream cheese, and jalapénos, is sure to be a new favorite!
Enjoy a Smoked Flavor?
Try adding some wood chunks to your grill. This will add a nice smoked flavor to your recipe.
Jalapeño Popper Mac & Cheese (made on the grill)
- 16 oz Elbow Macaroni
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Jalapeños, Diced Remove seeds and membranes before dicing
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 oz Cream Cheese Cut into cubes
- 4 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1-1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 12 oz Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups Panko Crumbs
- 4 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp Paprika Smoked or Regular
- Preheat grill to 350˚F.
- Lightly grease a cast iron baking dish or skillet and set aside—or to make clean-up even easier you can use a disposable aluminum pan. Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside to cool while preparing the cheese sauce.
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan, dutch oven, or stock pot. Add diced jalapeños and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes.
- Whisk in cream cheese and Tabasco® Sauce
- Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add another 1-1/2 cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
- Add the cooled pasta and stir until combined and pasta is fully coated with cheese sauce.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared cast iron dish. Top with remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese, two-thirds of the bacon and then the remaining mac and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter, and paprika. Sprinkle over the top and put on grill until bubbly and golden brown—about 30 minutes.
- Top with remaining bacon and slices of jalapeños if desired. Serve immediately.