One of the all-time best comfort foods made on the grill! Rich and creamy Smoked Mac & Cheese with crispy breadcrumb topping.
Smoked Mac & Cheese
Rich and creamy Smoked Mac & Cheese with crispy breadcrumb topping
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni Noodles Cooked
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Mustard Powder
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 3 cups Cheddar
- 1-1/2 cups Gouda
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs Panko or Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 tbsp Sweet Rub
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles until they are al dente, meaning they still have a bit of chew and texture.
- Preheat your grill to 225˚ F using a mild hardwood--like cherry or apple.
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
- Carefully pour in the half and half and bring to a boil while whisking. Reduce the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Whisk in the cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Sir gently until the noodles are coated by the cheese sauce.
- Combine the melted butter, sweet rub, and bread crumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese.
- Place the skillet in the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for 1 hour. You can smoke for up to 2 hours if you want a stronger smoke flavor, but the noodles will take on quite a bit of smoke fairly quickly.
- Serve your Mac & Cheese warm while the cheese is nice an melty!