Looking for a side dish for your next barbecue, party or family dinner? This Smoked Bourbon Baked Beans recipe is not only easy but delicious.
Smoked Bourbon Baked Beans
This recipe is ideal to make on a Phoenix Grill but with a smoker box can be made on any of our MHP or ProFire grills.
Servings 12 people
- 6 Slices Thick Cut Peppered Bacon (halved)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Jalapeno Peppers (diced) For less heat, substitute 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 28 oz. Cans of Pork and Beans
- 3/4 Cup Barbecue Sauce We like to use a Bourbon BBQ Sauce for this recipe
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Molasses
- Preheat your grill to 250˚ F using any mild or fruitwood.
- Preheat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook the bacon pieces for 2-3 minutes per side. Long enough to rend fat, but not long enough to crisp thoroughly.
- Transfer the bacon pieces to plate with a paper towel on top so they can drain. Leave bacon grease in the pan and add the onions and jalapenos. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they have softened and the onions are slightly translucent.
- Pour the cans of beans (liquid and all) into the pan. Add in the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and molasses. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the beans to an aluminum pan for use on grill. Place the slices of bacon on top of the beans and bring to the grill.
- Smoke, uncovered, for about 3 hours, or until nearly all of the fat has rendered from the bacon and the beans have thickened up nicely. Remove from the grill and serve while warm